Approximately 3 million new cases of whiplash occur each year and more than 50 percent of those cases incur some degree of chronic pain. Below are some more statistics about whiplash injuries and chronic pain.
- In 75% of patients, symptoms of whiplash can last 6 months or longer
- Symptoms of whiplash can often appear weeks or months after an accident
- Victims of whiplash lose approximately 8 weeks of work
- Whiplash injuries occur 5 times more often in women than men
- Whiplash injuries occur more often in people 30 to 50 years of age
- Most injuries occur when traveling less than 12 mph
- A read-end collision generally causes more damage to the cervical spine than side or frontal collisions do
- A whiplash injury can increase your chances of chronic shoulder and neck pain
- People suffering from chronic pain due to whiplash injuries often have abnormal psychological profiles
- More than 60% of people who have whiplash injuries require long-term medical follow-up
- More than 50% of those who have whiplash injuries will still have chronic pain 20 years after the injury
- Pre-existing health conditions such as arthritis will lead to greater severity of injury and greater pain
- Whiplash injuries are more severe in women and children because their necks are smaller
The Importance of Prompt Treatment
Prompt and proper treatment of whiplash injuries can help reduce the chances of incurring chronic pain from the incident. Common chiropractic treatments include:
- Chiropractic manipulation or adjustment
- Various exercises, such as McKenzie exercises or stabilization and sensorimotor exercises
- Ergonomic/lifestyle changes
- Muscle stimulation or relaxation
Since each whiplash case is unique, the chiropractic treatment will vary depending on the dysfunctions discovered during the chiropractic exam. At ChiroCare of Florida, we develop treatment plans that address each specific problem. Your plan may include one or more of the approaches mentioned above, as well as other approaches deemed necessary.
Contact us online or call 1-877-DRRIGHT to schedule an appointment with an experienced chiropractor at ChiroCare of Florida.