If you've never heard of Zumba, chances are you've been living under a rock for the past ten years. That, or you're simply too stuck in traditional ways of working out that you haven't had the joy of experiencing a fun workout yet.
People don't just like Zumba – they love it.
Zumba fitness classes have made their way to 180 countries, stolen the hearts of 15 million people, and are offered in 200,000 locations – including right here in Plantation. Are you ready to get started with this ultra-popular fitness trend? Keep reading. I bet I can get you hooked before you can even Google "Zumba classes near me."
What is Zumba?
Zumba is an aerobic fitness program that features dance movements inspired by various styles of Latin dance. It all started in the late '90s when Colombian dancer and choreographer, Alberto Perez, forgot the traditional music he used to teach his aerobics class. To fill the silence, he grabbed cassette tapes of Latin dance music instead. He taught the class as "Rumbacize" – a combination of "rumba," meaning "to party" in Spanish, and Jazzercise, a popular form of dance-inspired fitness routines.
As "Rumbacize" began to gain popularity, the name changed to Zumba. Zumba classes are typically about an hour long and incorporate hip-hop, reggaeton, samba, salsa, merengue, soca, and mambo music. In addition to dance and aerobic movements, a combination of squats and lunges are also incorporated.
Benefits of a Zumba Workout
Don't let the fun moves fool you, Zumba is total-body cardio and aerobic workout. You're guaranteed to work up a sweat, and most people burn an average of 350 calories during an hour-long class. However, this doesn't mean you need to be a fitness expert to take a Zumba class.
Zumba offers different level course options ideal for all ages. Some Zumba classes are aimed toward an elderly audience, to help them build strength, improve motion and posture, and socialize. Other benefits of a Zumba workout include:
- Toning Your Entire Body: Target a variety of different muscle groups at once.
- Great For Weight Loss: You'll be burning tons of calories, plus the more you enjoy your exercise routine, the more likely you are to stick with it.
- Improving Heart Health: Get your heart rate up while maintaining a good cardiovascular respiratory system.
- De-Stress Body and Mind: Any type of exercise is a great way to relieve stress and reduce fatigue, but fun Zumba moves also distract you from the day's troubles.
A Low-Impact Workout For All Ages
As a chiropractor in Plantation, I can tell you that many workout options are simply too tough on the joints, lower back, or knees. At ChiroCare of Florida, we see plenty of patients come in complaining of pulled muscles, inflamed joints, and an aching back because their bodies simply couldn't handle their choice of workout. This is especially true for those suffering arthritis, osteoporosis, or herniated discs.
That's why thousands of people love Zumba. It can be a low-impact workout that truly works. Zumba Gold classes are specifically designed to keep the high-energy of a classic Zumba course, but altered to include less jumps or hops that wear on ankles and knees. These types of motions are typically what cause nagging aches and pains in most cardio routines.
In traditional cardio workouts, like running, you're forcing your body to absorb the shock of your feet pounding the pavement. During a low-impact workout like a Zumba class, you're able to achieve the calorie burn and muscle toning of traditional cardio without the wear-and-tear of traditional options. This is because Zumba is done in a series of controlled dance movements which you're using your entire body to perform, not just slapping your feet onto a treadmill or hard concrete. There is less impact for your body to absorb, hence why it is called a low-impact workout.
Where to Find Zumba Classes in Plantation
By now you're likely already typing in "Zumba classes near me," and I can't blame you. Luckily, Plantation is home to plenty of Zumba fitness classes.
- Zumba at Plantation Central Park: All levels, including beginners, are welcome to join the weekly Zumba class. Classes are taught at 7 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays and 11:30 a.m. on Saturdays. Classes are 60 minutes and $7 per class or $60 for 10 weeks for Plantation residents.
- Zumba at LA Fitness: Whether you're looking to join a gym, or have an existing membership at LA Fitness, you should check out their Zumba classes. Offered 7-days a week at various times of the day, LA Fitness is home to multiple Zumba-certified trainers.
- Zumba for Kids: Do you have a little one that wants to get in on the Zumba action? LD Fitness is a family owned and operated dance studio that offers a Zumba Kids course. A great way to make new friends, the Zumba Kids class is available Tuesday and Thursday.
- Aqua Zumba at 24 Hour Fitness: Take your Zumba skills to the water with Aqua Zumba at 24 Hour Fitness. Or if you'd prefer, get to sculpting those muscles with Zumba Toning. You can even take it easy with Zumba Gold, a class specifically modified for older adults.
Zumba experts recommend starting out with two classes a week so your body and mind can begin to remember routines, while you build strength and endurance. Like any fitness program, it's good to balance out your cardio routines with stretching, strength training, and rest days.
So, what are you waiting for? Shake it up with Zumba fitness and sign up for a class today! Book Now